International Elementary Education (PK-6) Licensure Graduate Certificate
The International Elementary Education (PK-6) licensure program offers course work leading to elementary teacher licensure (Virginia) with an option for an International Baccalaureate (IB) certificate.
This 27-credit graduate certificate offers course work leading to teacher licensure (Virginia) in Elementary Education PK-6. The program also prepares educators for international teaching assignments. Additionally, this program prepares students who wish to teach in International Baccalaureate (IB) schools worldwide by integrating IB curriculum into the licensure coursework. Students completing the licensure requirements may take EDUC 621 - Teaching and Learning in the International Baccalaureate Program as an additional course to become eligible for the International Baccalaureate Certificate in Teaching and Learning through the IB. The course work may be completed in the part-time evening program or during the summer intensive program. Pre-requisites for admission include Praxis Core or equivalent and students must be within 9 credits of completion of elementary education endorsements. The graduate certificate in international elementary education (PK-6) licensure may be pursued on a full-time or part-time basis.
- EDUC 513: Teaching Elementary Math in International Schools (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 514: Teaching Elementary Science in International Schools (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 520: Elementary Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment in International Schools (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 790: Internship in Education (6 credit hours)
- EDUC 511: Child and Adolescent Development in Global Contexts (3 credit hours) (Included in MEd Core/Required for certificate only option.)
- EDRD 515: Language and Literacy in Global Contexts (3 credit hours) (Included in MEd Core/Required for certificate only option.)
Note: Students must earn grades of B or higher in all coursework.