Foreign Language: Chinese Licensure Graduate Certificate
The study of the Chinese language opens the way to different important fields such as Chinese politics, economy, history or archaeology.
This 27-credit certificate is designed to provide an interdisciplinary, theory-based course of study for initial licensure candidates and provisionally licensed teachers.
It is intended to assist students in developing a reflective stance toward practice and to enhance their ability to address critical issues in language and learning. It also intends to advance their fundamental understanding about language, technology, pedagogy, and culture, as well as issues related to diversity in schools and in society at large.
This graduate certificate may be pursued on a full-time or part-time basis.
Praxis Core or equivalent and demonstrated proficiency in the certificate language are prerequisites for admission. Students must earn a B or higher in all coursework.
- EDCI 516: Bilingualism and Language Acquisition Research (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 520: Assessment of Language Learners (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 560: Methods of Teaching in Foreign/World Languages (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 684: Advanced Methods of Teaching Foreign/Second Languages in PK-12 Schools (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 790: Internship in Education (1 - 6 credit hours)
- EDRD 620: Reading/Writing in Foreign/World Languages (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 511: Child and Adolescent Development in Global Contexts (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 537: Introduction to Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Learners (3 credit hours) (Included in MEd Core/Required for certificate only option.)
A six-credit, 15-week daytime internship, EDCI 790, is required for completion of the state-approved licensure program. Both elementary and middle school or secondary school placements are required. Two options are available to meet the needs of most individuals:
- Placement Internship: One semester, daytime internship in the classroom of a cooperating teacher. Intern assumes co-teaching and independent teaching responsibilities.
- On-the-Job Internship: Available only to students who are employed as full-time foreign language teachers and are teaching the certificate language in an accredited school.