Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse & Exceptional Learners MEd
The Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and Exceptional Learners (TCLDEL) program is designed to prepare teachers to work with diverse students around the world.
The program combines coursework across multiple disciplines including English as Second Language, Foreign Language, Elementary Education, Special Education, and Advanced IB Studies but provides a path for new and experienced teachers to specialize in their area of interest. Students complete a core sequence of coursework together, then specialize in one of 7 add-on graduate certificate programs.
How it Works
The program is completed in two parts. You’ll begin coursework in the M.Ed. and will have two semesters to apply to a secondary certificate program to be completed in conjunction with the M.Ed. While the M.Ed. coursework provides the foundation of knowledge and advanced skills for diverse classrooms, the certificate allows you to focus and specialize with the type of student or curriculum of most interest to you.
Core Courses for MEd:
- EDUC 511: Child and Adolescent Development in Global Contexts (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 515: Language and Literacy in Global Contexts (3 credit hours) (Students must declare a secondary certificate by second semester in the master's degree program.)
- EDCI 776: Consultation and Collaboration in Diverse K-12 Settings (3 credit hours) (Taken after secondary certificate coursework)
- EDCI 777: Research to Practice (3 credit hours) (Last course in M.Ed. program)
Secondary Certificate Options
Most secondary certificates lead to either a Virginia teaching license, additional subject certification, or other internationally recognized credential. Our programs are designed to support your goals no matter your career stage, so new teachers and experienced educators alike can gain valuable and in-demand skills for modern classrooms. You can add the secondary certificate at any point during your first two semesters in the M.Ed. program by working with your academic advisor to meet secondary certificate admissions requirements.
- Advanced International Baccalaureate Studies Graduate Certificate
- English as a Second Language (ESL/ESOL) Special Education Graduate Certificate
- English as a Second Language (ESOL) Education for Practitioners Graduate Certificate
- Foreign Language Licensure Graduate Certificate Options
- International Elementary Education (PK-6) Licensure Graduate Certificate
- International ESOL Education (PK-12) Licensure Graduate Certificate
- International Special Education Graduate Certificate