Graduate School of Education - George Mason University


School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University

The School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism (SRHT) offers exciting, career-ready majors in dynamic fields such as athletic training, tourism and events management, health and physical education, kinesiology, sport management, and recreation management. SRHT features renowned faculty, cutting-edge research, six laboratories and centers, and a diverse student body of more than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Each major requires one or more internship or clinical experiences, ensuring that students graduate not just with a transcript but with a resume that demonstrates their professional aptitude and skills.

Skip local navigation

National Board Certification

National Board Certification

National Board Certification is the most respected professional certification available in education and provides numerous benefits to teachers, students and schools. It was designed to develop, retain and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide.

Learn More

Take One!® is a unique offering from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards® (NBPTS) that provides a standards-based approach for improving teaching practice and links student learning to effective instruction.

The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) at George Mason University partners with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards to offer three graduate credits to teachers who complete a Component option or the Take One option through National Board.

To register at GMU for a NB Component or the Take One option for graduate credits, we must have:

  • your completed enrollment form filled out and faxed to this number: 703-993-9380.
  • a copy of your NB Score Report emailed to
  • payment by credit card of $500 for each using Virtual Merchant (link below). For National Board payments made by schools or other third party, please contact our office at receive invoicing information.

Once all documentation is received, you will be formally registered for the graduate credit course. You will receive an email that the credits have been awarded, and directions will be given for how to order a transcript reflecting the credits.

Questions relating to GMU graduate credit for the NB Component or Take One options may be emailed to the following email address:


Reprinted with permission from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, All rights reserved.