An array of University and CEHD programs, resources, and services are available to undergraduate and graduate students to support their growth, matriculation, and success.
We believe that for students to reach their full potential, they should take advantage of academic support, career readiness, civic engagement, global, and well-being opportunities. Many resources are provided below to help you maximize your experience at Mason.
- Academic Success Program: Participation in the Academic Success Program is required for CEHD students who are not in good standing with the University and have been placed on academic warning, probation, or suspension. Students will work closely with the CEHD Advising and Retention Coordinator to develop and realize their academic goals, identify barriers to success, and get connected to campus resources and support services. Students are prohibited from registering for subsequent semesters until they fulfill the requirements of the program.
- Writer’s Retreat: The CEHD Writer’s Retreat is a daylong event organized to provide group accountability among peers who are determined to accomplish their academic writing goals. The retreat is open to CEHD graduate students only. New CEHD Writer’s Retreat dates will be released soon!
- Learning Services: Provides a variety of experience-based learning opportunities with concerns related to assistance with study skills, tutoring, goal setting, motivation, test anxiety, organization, time management, concentration and more.
- Learning Resource Center: Provides tutoring (appointments required) and learning opportunities for non-native English speakers who need help with their language skills. Small library with computers, printer, study area, and reference materials is available Monday – Friday, 10:00 am – 5:30 pm.
- Math Tutoring Center: All CEHD undergraduate majors, with the exception of PHED and HDFS, must take STAT 250 as a quantitative reasoning course as a requirement of their degree program. The Math Tutoring Center offers free walk-in assistance for 100- and 200-level math courses.
- Writing Center: The multiple locations of the Writing Center are staffed with undergraduate and graduate students that provide face-to-face and online tutoring and writing support. Use them as a resource for whatever stage you are in the writing process, from brainstorming to editing, revising, and polishing.
- Health Professions/Pre-Med Advising: Many students in the School of Recreation, Health and Tourism are interested in entering allied health and medical fields. Prehealth.gmu.edu is the main source of online information for any student considering careers in medicine, dentistry, podiatry, optometry, veterinary science, allied health, pharmacy school, PA school, occupational therapy, or physical therapy.
- Career Services: University Career Services is the campus’ centralized career center that operates under an industry-centered approach to serve undergraduate and graduate students and employers. Charlotte Strauss is the Industry Advisor for the fields of Education, Hospitality/Tourism, Human Services, Non-Profit, and Sports/Recreation.
- HireMason: Create an account to view job and internship postings.
- Leadership, Education and Development (LEAD): Leadership Programming to help students develop their own leadership skills.
- Off-Campus Student Programs and Services: Services and programs for students living off-campus including housing and transportation information.
- Social Action and Integrative Learning: Service opportunities-Alternative Spring Break, Mason Service Corps
- Office of Student Involvement: Campus Events, Greek Life, Program Board, Student Governance, Student Organizations, and Weekends at Mason.
- Physical Activity for Lifetime Wellness Program: Every semester nearly 40 one-credit or more fitness, sport, or outdoor activity class within the Physical Activity for Lifetime Wellness program listed within Recreation (RECR) in PatriotWeb.
- Center for the Advancement of Well-Being: Interdisciplinary research and teaching center at GMU dedicated to catalyzing human well-being.