Graduate School of Education - George Mason University


School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University

The School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism (SRHT) offers exciting, career-ready majors in dynamic fields such as athletic training, tourism and events management, health and physical education, kinesiology, sport management, and recreation management. SRHT features renowned faculty, cutting-edge research, six laboratories and centers, and a diverse student body of more than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Each major requires one or more internship or clinical experiences, ensuring that students graduate not just with a transcript but with a resume that demonstrates their professional aptitude and skills.

Graduates learn the the strategies and tools that can help visually impaired students learn about the world, perform everyday activities, and participate in the general curriculum and other activities in school.

This certificate offers the required coursework for PK-12 teacher licensure in Teaching Students with Visual Impairments.

15-33 credits — Students who have completed graduate or undergraduate coursework in a special education university program prior to admission to the certificate may request that courses in the certificate program be waived based on completion of the content in prior coursework. Students waiving coursework must complete a minimum of 15 credits to be eligible for the certificate.

Co/Pre-requisite to entry into the program: EDSE 501 Intro to Special Education

Pre-requisite to internship (prior to completion of the program): Language Development and Literacy course (EDSE 503), passing RVE or VRA score, or current collegiate professional license

Courses offered every fall, spring and summer semester:

Fall course offerings:

Spring course offerings:

Summer course offerings:

Total: 34 credits

Masters in Special Education Students

Students who are completing the Masters in Special Education in conjunction with their licensure program will need to complete the following courses to meet the MEd course requirements. Click here for a chart showing overlap in coursework of the VI licensure certificate and MEd. The MEd courses can be taken at any point in a student's program.

Non-course Requirements

*Students completing Virginia licensure programs are eligible for an exemption from RVE, VCLA, and Praxis II: Braille Proficiency if the Special Education licensure area they are pursuing will not be their initial teacher licensure in Virginia. Students exempt from taking one or more tests for this reason must provide documentation of this exemption. (Holding a VA License is not an approved exemption for meeting the VDOE Required Entry Assessment.)

Tuition Assistance and Grant Funding

Visual Impairments Consortium: The Virginia Consortium for Teacher Preparation in Visual Impairments is made up of six universities: George Mason University, James Madison University, Norfolk State University, Old Dominion University, Radford University and Virginia Commonwealth University. Its primary goal is to prepare teachers to be highly skilled at working with students with visual impairment and blindness. Classes will be offered through video conferencing equipment to establish real-time, interactive, multipoint instruction among the six universities. The consortium is supported by a grant from the Virginia Department of Education. Every semester, a limited number of tuition stipends are awarded to qualified applicants.

Graduate Research Assistantships: Part time positions are available for students interested in providing research support to faculty.

George Mason University College of Education and Human Development is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). All licensure programs are approved by the Virginia Department of Education. George Mason University will verify completion of the requirements of a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) state-approved preparation program at the graduate or undergraduate level. Such verification does not guarantee the issuance of Virginia Collegiate Professional, Postgraduate Professional, or Pupil Personnel license from the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is solely the student’s responsibility to comply with all requirements for licensure by the Commonwealth. Under Virginia law a social security number is required for licensure.