BCBA Exam Requirements
Eligibility to sit for the BCBA certification examination requires completion of Sections A and B below and compliance with all other rules and requirements of the BACB.
A. Degree Requirement:
Possession of a master's degree that was conferred in behavior analysis or a field related to behavior analysis and approved by the BACB (click here for information about acceptable degrees) from any of the following:
- United States or Canadian institution of higher education fully or provisionally accredited by a regional, state, provincial or national accrediting body; or
- An institution of higher education located outside the United States or Canada that, at the time the applicant was enrolled and at the time the applicant graduated, maintained a standard of training equivalent to the standards of training of those institutions accredited in the United States.
Please note that if you plan on sitting for the Board exam after, or is incomplete as of December 30, 2015 you must hold a “minimum of a master’s degree from an accredited university that was a) conferred in behavior analysis, education, or psychology, or b) conferred in a degree program in which the candidate completed a BACB approved course sequence.” For more information please go to the Board website: http://www.bacb.com/index.php?page=100378.
B. Training and Experience Requirements
OPTION 1: COURSEWORK OPTION
- Coursework: The applicant must complete 225 classroom hours of graduate level instruction (see Acceptable Coursework below) in the following content areas and for the number of hours specified:
- Ethical considerations 15 hours
- Definition & characteristics and Principles, processes & concepts - 45 hours
- Behavioral assessment and Selecting intervention outcomes & strategies - 35 hours
- Experimental evaluation of interventions - 20 hours
- Measurement of behavior and Displaying & interpreting behavioral data - 20 hours
- Behavioral change procedures and Systems support 45 hours
- Discretionary 45 hours
- Acceptable Coursework: College or university courses in behavior analysis, that are taken from an institution that meets the requirements specified in Section A.
- Experience: Click here for the experience requirements for BCBA eligibility. The applicant must complete experience that meets these stated requirements. Applicants should carefully review the experience standards with their supervisor(s) before beginning their experience.
For additional options for eligibility requirements go to the BACB website at http://www.bacb.com/