The supervised experience is optional, cost based (in addition to cost of the courses), and is designed for participants to apply the theoretical knowledge of ABA learned throughout the academic coursework in home, school, and community settings. As stated in the BACB Experience Standards, the purpose of supervision is to improve and maintain the behavior-analytic, professional, and ethical repertoires of the supervisee and facilitate the delivery of high-quality services to his/her clients.
Each member institution provides the supervised experience and developed its own policies and procedures. As a part of the VA-ABA consortium, each member institution will ensure all supervisors meet the criteria of the certified behavior analyst credentials and any required training. Further, supervised experience activities are those designated by the BACB® and may include:
- Conducting assessments related to the need for behavioral intervention.
- Designing, implementing, and systematically monitoring skill-acquisition and behavior reduction programs.
- Overseeing the implementation of behavior analytic programs by others.
- Training, designing behavioral systems, and performance management.
- Other activities normally performed by a behavior analyst that are directly related to behavior analysis such as attending planning meetings regarding the behavior analytic program, researching the literature related to the program, and talking to individuals about the program.