Distance Education Requirements
A limited number of students who live a substantial distance from all of the universities will be permitted to stream the course from their homes. This requires more than 90 minutes of one-way travel time to the closest participating university (under normal circumstance) OR a documented medical need. The following requirements must be followed:
- Have access to a PC (Macs will not run the required software).
- Have high-speed internet access for the duration of the course.
- Have the capacity and willingness to participate in class via long distance phone call (if either the student’s internet connect is down or there are technical problems with the conference equipment).
- Purchase a microphone and web camera (specifications to be provided by consortium faculty).
- Ability to install certain software programs on their computer including Apple QuickTime or Windows Media Player and other plug-ins needed to view the class web stream and participate in sessions.
- Participate in a required technology training prior to the start of the semester.
- Required to collaborate with site technical staff to ensure delivery.
- Required to follow all attendance/participation policies for each course. Students are expected to be present for the entire duration of the class and be an active participant using the web technologies.
- This may also require students to partner with other remote site students or students at another participating university during class to complete both in class and out of class activities. This may require remote site students to make long distance phone calls to participate.
- Obtain permission from the consortium faculty member at their home university to take the course as a remote site student.
- May be required 1-2 times a semester to attend class on-campus (or to their closest participating campus) to participate in in-class labs or other class activities. Instructors will identify those nights by the first night of class.