Secondary Education - Biology (6-12) Undergraduate Certificate
Let us help you prepare for Praxis testing. We offer workshops throughout the year.
Becoming a biology teacher has the obvious reward of sharing a love of science with students, but the bonuses do not stop there. Teachers in this area have a projected job outlook through the year 2028 with a projected growth rate of 6%.
This 27-credit Curriculum and Instruction undergraduate certificate is available only to students pursuing a BA or BS in Biology. Students who complete both the BA or BS in Biology and this undergraduate certificate will be considered Virginia state-approved educator preparation program completers and will be eligible for recommendation for an initial VA teaching license in Secondary Education (6-12) Biology.
Students applying for this undergraduate certificate as a secondary program must complete the Undergraduate Declaration of Certificate and the Undergraduate Educator Preparation Program application. At the time of application, students must also have satisfied the following requirements: a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0; passing scores on the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) prescribed entry assessment; and an official College of Education and Human Development review of discipline-specific content competencies coursework (note: a minimum grade of C (2.0) must have been attained in such coursework completed at Mason). See https://cehd.gmu.edu/UGTeach for more information on the admissions process.
Prior to application for internship, students are required to complete all discipline-specific content competency requirements (https://cehd.gmu.edu/endorse/), pass licensure assessments, and have earned a grade of B (3.0) or better in all licensure coursework.
Additional Discipline-Specific Content Competencies Coursework (4 credits)
4 credits in Human Anatomy/Physiology chosen from:
- BIOL 430: Advanced Human Anatomy and Physiology I (4 credit hours)
- BIOL 431: Advanced Human Anatomy and Physiology II (4 credit hours)
All other discipline-specific content competencies coursework should be satisfied with the core requirements of the major either for the BA or BS in Biology.
Teacher Licensure Coursework (23 Credits)
- EDCI 473: Teaching Science in the Secondary School (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 483: Advanced Methods of Teaching Science in Secondary School (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 490: Student Teaching in Education (6 credit hours)
- EDCI 491: Internship Seminar in Secondary Training (2 credit hours) (corequisite EDCI490)
- EDRD 419: Literacy in the Content Areas (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 372: Human Development, Learning, and Teaching (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 422: Foundations of Secondary Education (3 credit hours)