Text Size: A A A

Mathematics Education Leadership

Frequently Asked Questions - Math Specialist Leader (K-8)

How long does it take to complete the program?

The Math Specialist Leader (K-8) program is designed for working professionals. Most students complete the program in 3 years or less.

How do I apply to the program?

Applications are available online Students should apply and specifically indicate their interest in the Math Education Leadership (MEL) programs on their applications.

Do I need to apply and begin the program at a certain time to enter a cohort?

Students are permitted to begin the program during Summer, Fall or Spring.

When are courses offered?

Courses are offered in the evenings.

Are there classes offered in the summer?

There are some classes offered in the summer. As demand for the program increases, additional summer courses may be offered.

Where are the Math Specialist courses being offered?

Currently, the classes are being offered on the Fairfax campus of George Mason University and online using distance education technology.

What if I already have my Master's Degree and just want to take the additional courses for the Math Specialist endorsement?

Students who already have a master’s degree should have their transcripts evaluated by the state for the mathematics specialist (K-8) endorsement to determine which courses are still needed. The academic program coordinator can assist with finding courses once an evaluation has been completed.

What courses are being offered?

Check class schedule on Patriot Web.

Can I take courses before I apply to the program? How do I sign up for courses?

Students are permitted to take 4 classes as a non-degree student. To take these classes, students should go online and apply to GMU as Non-Degree students and register for the courses they want to take in the program.

Can I transfer my Math Specialist coursework from other programs into my Master's Degree program at George Mason?

You may be able to transfer up to 12 credits into the GMU program from a Virginia partner institution. This transfer is dependent upon the approval of the Mathematics Education Leadership academic program coordinator. Credits cannot have been used toward a previous Master’s degree and must follow policies for transfer credit shown.

Do my mathematics content classes from GMU's OES program count towards the Math Specialist program?

Office of Educational Services (OES) courses are not permitted to be counted as courses in GMU's degree granting programs. Courses taken after spring 2005 do not qualify. Acceptance of these courses is dependent upon the approval of the Mathematics Education Leadership coordinator.

What is the level of mathematics in the MATH designated courses?

Students gain a deeper understanding of the mathematics content of the K-8 classroom and its connections to advanced mathematics. Math content exams are a required assessment in these courses.

How can I obtain a Math Specialist endorsement in Virginia?

Students can either apply through their school district or through GSE's Office of Licensure.

Who can I contact for more information?

Please contact Dr. Jennifer Suh, jsuh@gmu.edu, Academic Program Coordinator or program staff at a href="mailto:jsuh@gmu.edu">mathspec@gmu.edu, as soon as you decide to apply to the program or if you have any questions about the program. She will want to gather contact information such as your name, address, e-mail, and phone number so that you can receive updates on MEL program information.