Graduate School of Education - George Mason University
Graduate School of Education - George Mason University

Our Graduate School of Education is the alma mater for one third of teachers and administrators in Northern Virginia’s world-class school systems. Each year, more than 3,000 graduate students enroll in our innovative academic programs, which include advanced study for teachers and school leaders, instructional design and technology, and a renowned PhD in Education program that is among the largest in the country.

School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University

The School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism (SRHT) offers exciting, career-ready majors in dynamic fields such as athletic training, tourism and events management, health and physical education, kinesiology, sport management, and recreation management. SRHT features renowned faculty, cutting-edge research, six laboratories and centers, and a diverse student body of more than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Each major requires one or more internship or clinical experiences, ensuring that students graduate not just with a transcript but with a resume that demonstrates their professional aptitude and skills.

To earn an Elementary Education PK-6 license in Virginia, students must not only complete a state-approved, initial licensure degree program and an internship, but they must also pass the required state licensure exams and complete some additional training requirements.

Licensure Exams

The following exams must be passed prior to beginning the internship:

  • Praxis Subject Assessment for Elementary Education
  • Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA)
  • Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE)

See our Virginia Test Requirements webpage for further details.


Endorsement coursework must be passed with a C or better in order to count toward fulfilling endorsement content areas. Complete information about the endorsement review process is available on the Endorsement website.

Major Coursework

All major coursework for undergrads must be passed with a B- or better; graduate students must earn a B or better.

Additional Requirements

Prior to licensure, students must complete an in-person First Aid/CPR/AED training and a few online modules offered through the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). Detailed information will be shared with students upon admission to the major (undergrad) or admission to the MEd program.

The CEHD Teacher Preparation website contains additional information about licensure requirements.