Graduate School of Education - George Mason University
Graduate School of Education - George Mason University

Our Graduate School of Education is the alma mater for one third of teachers and administrators in Northern Virginia’s world-class school systems. Each year, more than 3,000 graduate students enroll in our innovative academic programs, which include advanced study for teachers and school leaders, instructional design and technology, and a renowned PhD in Education program that is among the largest in the country.

School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism - George Mason University

The School of Recreation, Health, and Tourism (SRHT) offers exciting, career-ready majors in dynamic fields such as athletic training, tourism and events management, health and physical education, kinesiology, sport management, and recreation management. SRHT features renowned faculty, cutting-edge research, six laboratories and centers, and a diverse student body of more than 1,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year. Each major requires one or more internship or clinical experiences, ensuring that students graduate not just with a transcript but with a resume that demonstrates their professional aptitude and skills.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Would you send me some information on the EDLE program and cohorts?More Less
Q: Can you send me some information on the SELE program?More Less
Q: What do you need to apply?More Less
  1. Go to:
    Apply to: Education Leadership, M.Ed.
  2. Submit the following online:
    • 2 recommendations (use only Mason recommendation form) - Two recommendations must be from administrators who have supervised you in a school setting. 
    • Goal Statement (750 to 1000 words) stating your professional plans and career objectives.
    • Resume with your education, professional licenses/certification, and professional experience.
Q: What are the admission deadlines?More Less
  • Fall - April 1st
  • Spring - November 1st
  • All admissions materials must be submitted to the admissions office by the priority deadline to ensure proper processing. All applicants are required to attend an admissions interview. The EDLE program office will contact you directly to schedule your interview.
Q. What are the requirements for admittance into the program?More Less
  1. A bachelor’s degree or greater from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 GPA in the last 60 credits of study. Check the list of regionally accredited schools at
  2. Three years of documented, successful, full-time teaching experience in an accredited public or non-public school.
  3. All applicants are required to attend an admissions interview. To be scheduled for an interview, you must complete the admissions application and submit all required information to the admissions office by the priority deadlines. The Education Leadership (EDLE) program office will contact you directly to schedule your interview.


Q: What is the difference between the EDLE Master's Degree and the EDLE Graduate Certificate?More Less
  • The EDLE Master’s Degree (30 credits total; the 24 credits for the EDLE Graduate Certificate plus an additional 6 credits) is a program that allows candidates to earn an MEd in Education Leadership and pursue Administrative Licensure.
  • The ELDE Graduate Certificate (24 credits) is a program that allows candidates who already have a Master’s degree an option to pursue Administrative Licensure without pursing an additional Master’s Degree.
Q:  Which program should I apply to; the EDLE Master’s Degree or the EDLE Graduate Certificate?More Less
  • Candidates who apply to the EDLE Graduate Certificate program cannot ‘have a change of heart’ and decide at a later time to pursue the Master’s degree option. Therefore, we highly recommend all candidates apply to the EDLE Master’s Degree program as it offers the most flexibility: Example: if a candidate enrolls in the EDLE Master’s Degree (and they already have a previous Master’s degree) and they choose to ONLY pursue Administrative Licensure and NOT an additional Master’s Degree then the candidate can ‘have a change of heart’ and enroll in the EDLE Graduate Certificate option and withdraw from the EDLE Master’s Degree program.
Q: May I make an appointment to see someone to discuss the program?More Less
  • Have you attended an information session? We would advise you to come to an information session. Our coordinators conduct these especially for individuals who are interested in the program and they are very thorough. You may ask individual questions after the presentation.
Q. When are the information sessions?More Less
Q: Can I take Licensure classes before being admitted to the program?More Less
  • After applying as a non-degree graduate student, wait for confirmation you have been accepted. Non-degree application dates are August 1, December 1 and May 1. Non-degree application information can be found at:
  • You may take only the first course in the sequence, EDLE 620 Organizational Theory and Leadership.
Q: Can I transfer graduate credits into the EDLE Program?More Less
  • Once a student is formally admitted into the EDLE master's degree program they can meet with their assigned advisor to review the course work they would like to transfer into the program. With advisor approval, up to 12 credits for the master's degree and up to 9 credits for licensure course work may be transferred from George Mason Non-degree or another accredited institution. Credits must be less than six years old from the time you are admitted into the EDLE program, at the graduate level, and graded (grade of B or better, no pass/fail, audit, school district professional development courses, etc.). There are courses such as the EDLE 791 Internship that cannot be transferred into the program. Students transferring credits for licensure coursework are often required to complete the Performance Based Assessments for the equivalent GMU course.
  • Please review the following University Policies for the Graduate Certificates:

    AP.6.8 Requirements for Graduate Certificates -

    AP.6.5.3 Transfer of Credit -

    There is a small caveat at the very end of AP.6.5.3 Transfer of Credit that states, “up to 3 credits previously applied to a degree program at another institution may be transferred into a certificate program at Mason.” The credits would still have to comply with all of the other criteria for transfer.

Q: I work full time. When are the classes offered? Can I attend part time?More Less
  • Classes are offered in the late afternoon/evening Monday-Thursday on the Fairfax campus or at an off-site regional cohort location. We also offer an online program.  On average, students take 1-2 courses per semester.
Q: What is the difference between Campus and Cohort classes?More Less
  • The content of the courses is exactly the same. Cohort classes are on a set schedule and classes meet at an off-site location, such as a local high school. Students receive a 20% tuition discount if there are 20+ people in the cohort. Campus students have more flexibility in terms of when they take their classes and in what order. All campus classes are held at the Fairfax campus.
Q: I plan to be a full time student. What are my funding options?More Less
  • Information on loans, assistantships, fellowships, and other types of financial aid is available in the Office of Student Financial Aid which can be reached via telephone at 703.993.2353 or on the web at
  • CEHD offers the Virginia Educator discount for additional information go to the CEHD web at
  • For more information on funding your graduate program you may also go to
Q: How long does it take to complete the program?More Less
  • Due to the internship requirements, students usually finish the program within 18-24 months.
Q: How long does it take to complete the internship?More Less
  • No less than 12 months and no longer than 24 months. Students complete a majority of their internship hours at the school where they are employed.
Q: Do you offer online classes?More Less