Counseling and Development, MEd Concentration in School Counseling PK-12
The School Counseling concentration prepares counselors for positions in public or private elementary, middle, or secondary schools.
Graduates qualify for Virginia Department of Education licensure as a School Counselor for all grades, PreK-12. The degree must be completed within six years of enrollment.
Grading Policy: Students enrolled in this degree program must earn a B or higher in counseling courses and in all licensure coursework, including practicum and internship courses. Students are permitted to repeat a course only once.
Core Courses (28 credits)
- EDCD 525: Advanced Human Growth and Development (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 601: Introduction to Research in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 602: Foundations in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 603: Counseling Theories and Practice (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 604: Assessment and Appraisal in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 608: Group Processes and Analyses (4 credit hours)
- EDCD 610: Career and Educational Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 628: Counseling and Social Justice (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 660: Multicultural Counseling (3 credit hours)
School Counseling Concentration Courses (11 credits)
- EDCD 606: Counseling Children and Adolescents (4 credit hours)
- EDCD 611: Introduction to Ethical and Legal Issues in School Counseling (2 credit hours)
- EDCD 626: Principles and Practices of School Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 797: Advanced Topics in Education (1-6 credit hours) (Must register for 2 credits)
Practicum and Internship Courses (6 credits)
- EDCD 755: Practicum in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 791: Internship in Counseling (3 credit hours)
Total: 45 credits
To obtain a VA School Counseling license, students must:
- Complete our 45-credit School Counseling program to receive a provisional license (As and Bs in all course work required) through the CEHD Licensure Specialist office, or school districts.
- Complete two years of full-time work as a school counselor to be granted a professional license.