Curriculum and Instruction, MEd Concentration in ASTL: Teacher Leadership
The Teacher Leadership concentration provides advanced professional development in school leadership. The course work focuses on teachers as leaders in their classrooms, teams, departments, programs, and schools.
The Teacher Leadership concentration provides advanced professional development in school leadership. The educational leadership coursework focuses on teachers as leaders in their classrooms, teams, departments, programs, and schools.
The ASTL concentrations are for teachers and other educators with one or more years of teaching or education-related experience who want to continue to grow professionally. The program offers advanced study in a specific concentration area, including Virginia's Standards of Learning content areas, cohort classes, an innovative schedule, and the use of technology. The courses, aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, help teachers think and practice as board-certified teachers. The program develops teacher-leaders who practice reflection through action-research, problem-based learning, and self-inquiry, and teacher expertise in a concentration that will identify the teacher as a potential leader in that area.
Experienced teachers with or without a master's degree may apply for the ASTL Master's Degree program, which includes 18 credits in the Concentration area and 12 credits in the education Core.
Core Courses (12 credits)
- EDUC 606: Education and Culture (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 612: Inquiry into Practice (2 credit hours)
- EDUC 613: How Students Learn (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 614: Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning (2 credit hours)
- EDUC 615: Educational Change (2 credit hours)
Concentration Courses (18 credits)
- EDLE 610: Leading Schools and Communities (3 credit hours)
- EDLE 620: Organizational Theory and Leadership (3 credit hours)
- EDLE 636: Adult Motivation and Conflict Management in Education Settings: A Case Study Approach (3 credit hours)
- EDLE 690: Using Research to Lead School Improvement (3 credit hours)
- EDEP 591: Data-Driven Decision Making for Continuous Educational Improvement (3 credit hours) OR EDLE 618: Supervision and Evaluation of Instruction (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 608: Teacher Leadership for Professional Learning (3 credit hours)
Total: 30 credits
Program Exit Requirement
Professional Development Portfolio: A performance-based document that provides concrete evidence of teacher professional development throughout the ASTL program.