Secondary Education 6-12
- Attend an information session.
- Complete endorsement requirements - students who are within nine credits of completing endorsement requirements will be evaluated for admission.
- Visit the Endorsement Website and fill out Online Endorsement Review and send supporting documentation with Endorsement Review Cover Letter to licensure specialist (CEHD Licensure Specialist, 4400 University Dr, MS4B3, Fairfax, VA 22030).
- Students will receive an e-mail notifying them that the Endorsement Review has been updated and should print out the Endorsement Review Summary and send to Admissions Office with supporting documentation.
- Register to take Praxis I test so that passing scores can be submitted by the application deadline to GMU institutional code 5827 (please allow 4-6 weeks for scores to arrive).
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of study. Some applicants with a lower GPA may be admitted provisionally if there is sufficient evidence of potential success.
- Two sealed official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Applicants do not need to send in transcripts for courses taken at George Mason University.
- Complete graduate application to include application fee and a 750 -1000 word goal statement that addresses the reasons for choosing to become a secondary teacher. Steps for Applying.
- Three letters of recommendation from former or current employers or university professors, targeting work experiences and academic abilities. Please use the Letters of Recommendation Form.
- Official passing Praxis I test scores or qualifying substitute. If you will be submitting a Praxis I substitute, you must notify email@example.com after you have submitted your application.
- Endorsement Review Summary (see Pre-Admission Requirements above)
- If you are an applicant with international credentials, please review requirements listed in Step 1 which includes a PowerPoint tutorial to aid you in the international application process.
- Supporting documentation should be sent in one package to:
George Mason University
4400 University Dr., MS 4D1
Fairfax, VA 22030
Students admitted for fall are eligible to begin course work in summer or fall term.
- Fall: March 1
- Spring: October 1
- Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) is now required for all teachers applying for initial licensure. Students must submit passing VCLA scores prior to internship (composite=470). For more information on the test and how to register, please visit: VCLA . Scores should be reported directly to GMU.
- Licensure candidates seeking endorsement in secondary education must take the Praxis II in their subject area.
Applicants who have missed the deadline for submitting a complete graduate application and wish to begin taking courses, may take a maximum of two courses through Non-Degree Studies. The allowed courses are EDUC 522 Introduction to Secondary Education and the first methods course associated with appropriate concentration area. However, a complete application for degree status must be submitted by the next application deadline.