English as a Second Language PK-12
Certificate - English as a Second Language (CISL)
- EDCI 510: Linguistics for PreK-12 ESOL Teachers (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 516: Bilingualism and Language Acquisition Research (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 519: Methods of Teaching Multilingual Students (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 520: Assessment of Language Learners (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 790: Internship in Education (1-6 credit hours) (Must register for 6 credits)
- EDRD 525: Emergent Literacy for English Language Learners, PK-12 (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 610: Content Literacy for English Language Learners, PK-12 (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 537: Foundations of Multicultural Education (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 539: Human Development and Learning PK-12 (3 credit hours)
A 6-credit, 15-week daytime internship is required for completion of the state-approved licensure program. Both an elementary and a middle school or secondary school placement are required. Two options are available to meet the needs of most individuals:
- Internship: One-term daytime internship in the classroom of a cooperating teacher. Intern assumes co-teaching and independent teaching responsibilities.
- On-the-job Internship: This option is available only to students who are employed as full-time, provisionally licensed teachers and are teaching in their endorsement area in an accredited school. In addition to a fall or spring experience, this option includes a summer or some other appropriate experience. In lieu of an internship, provisionally licensed teachers may choose to use their full-time teaching to satisfy the experience requirements for a full license. However, the 42-credit master's degree requires that 6 credits in approved courses be substituted for the internship.
Field experiences in public schools are required throughout the program: a maximum of 15 clock hours per course or 30 clock hours per term. Arrangements will be made at the beginning of each term.