Counseling and Development
Counseling and Development, MEd
Concentration in Community Agency Counseling (CA)
The 52-credit Community Agency Counseling concentration prepares students for positions as mental health counselors in community, state, federal, and private counseling agencies; employee assistance programs; and private practice. Graduates provide services such as individual, couple, family, group, career, psycho-educational, health, multicultural, and substance abuse counseling for a variety of ages and populations. The degree must be completed within six years of enrollment.
The Community Agency Counseling program assists candidates in meeting the educational requirements for the Virginia Licensed Professional Counselor credential which includes 60 hours of coursework. The additional 8 credits of coursework can be taken while enrolled in our master's in Community Agency Counseling program, by applying to and enrolling in our post-master's counseling certificate program, and/or by completing the additional credits of coursework at another university. Additional licensure requirements are outlined in the Licensed Professional Counselors Application including post-master's supervision and experience and a passing score on the National Clinical Mental Health Counselors Examination (NCMHCE).
Grading Policy: Students enrolled in this degree program must earn a B or higher in Counseling skills courses (EDCD 603, EDCD 606, EDCD 608, EDCD 609, EDCD 755) and in all licensure course work. Students are permitted to repeat a course only once.
Core Courses (28 credits)
- EDCD 525: Advanced Human Growth and Development (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 601: Introduction to Research in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 602: Foundations in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 603: Counseling Theories and Practice (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 604: Assessment and Appraisal in Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 608: Group Processes and Analyses (4 credit hours)
- EDCD 610: Career and Educational Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 628: Counseling and Social Justice (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 660: Multicultural Counseling (3 credit hours)
Community Agency Concentration Courses (18 credits)
- EDCD 609: Advanced Counseling Skills and Strategies (4 credit hours)
- EDCD 652: Introduction to Substance Abuse Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 654: Counseling, Ethics, and Consultation in Community Agencies (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 656: Diagnosis and Treatment Planning for Mental Health Professionals (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 658: Couples and Family Counseling (3 credit hours)
- EDCD 797: Advanced Topics in Education (1-6 credit hours) (Must register for 2 credits)