Mathematics Education Leadership
Education Leadership, MEd
Concentration in Mathematics Specialist Leader (K-8) (MSLR)
The Math Specialist Leader concentration is a unique MEd degree in Mathematics Education Leadership for people who want to become K-8 mathematics specialists. The Math Specialist Leader concentration includes the required course work for state endorsement as a K-8 Mathematics Specialist. Students study mathematics content, curriculum, assessment, and pedagogy in the program. By the end of the program, when students apply to the Virginia Department of Education for a Math Specialist endorsement, they must have three years of successful teaching experience and 6 previous credits of mathematics in addition to a master's degree.
The 30-credit program is designed for working professionals. Courses are offered in the evenings, and some courses meet online. Most people complete the program in three years or less. The concentration focuses on mathematics education leadership, with specific course work in mathematics content for the K-8 school setting. Students study teaching, curriculum, and professional development programs for teachers. They also explore school-based leadership issues in mathematics education. The internship (EDCI 702) in Mathematics Education Leadership is an individual experience designed and developed in consultation with a faculty advisor or mentor.
The Math Specialist Leader (K-8) program is not an initial licensure program. Individuals seeking initial certification as a teacher should contact the Elementary Education or Secondary Education programs.
- EDCI 644: Mathematics Learning and Assessment (K-8) (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 645: Curriculum Development in Mathematics Education (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 646: Mathematics Education Leadership for School Change (1 - 3 credit hours) (Must register for 3 credits)
- EDCI 666: Research in Mathematics Teaching (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 702: Internship in Mathematics Education (3 credit hours)
- MATH 610: Number Systems and Number Theory for K-8 Teachers (3 credit hours)
- MATH 611: Geometry and Measurement for K-8 Teachers (3 credit hours)
- MATH 612: Probability and Statistics for K-8 Teachers (3 credit hours)
- MATH 613: Algebra and Functions for K-8 Teachers (3 credit hours)