English as a Second Language PK-12
Certificate - English as a Second Language (CISL)
- EDCI 510: Linguistics for PreK-12 ESOL Teachers (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 516: Bilingualism and Language Acquisition Research (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 519: Methods of Teaching Multilingual Students (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 520: Assessment of Language Learners (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 790: Internship in Education (1-6 credit hours) (Must register for 6 credits)
- EDRD 525: Emergent Literacy for English Language Learners, PK-12 (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 610: Content Literacy for English Language Learners, PK-12 (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 537: Foundations of Multicultural Education (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 539: Human Development and Learning PK-12 (3 credit hours)
A 6-credit, 15-week daytime internship is required for completion of the state-approved licensure program. Both an elementary and a middle school or secondary school placement are required. Placement is typically arranged through the Field Placement Office. For information on internship options and application deadlines, please see Internships and Practicum.
Field experiences in public schools are required throughout the program: a maximum of 15 clock hours per course or 30 clock hours per semester. Students who need assistance in finding a placement should submit field experience request by the appropriate deadline (Fall: Sept 15; Spring: Feb 15). For more information, please see field experience.