Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning
Curriculum and Instruction, MEd
Concentration in ASTL: Early Childhood Education (AECE)
The ASTL concentrations are for teachers and other educators with one or more years of teaching or education-related experience who want to continue to grow professionally. The program offers advanced study in a specific concentration area, including Virginia's Standards of Learning content areas, cohort classes, an innovative schedule, and the use of technology. The courses, aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, help teachers think and practice as board-certified teachers. The program develops teacher-leaders who practice reflection through action-research, problem-based learning, and self-inquiry, and teacher expertise in a concentration that will identify the teacher as a potential leader in that area.
The program provides two options to experienced teachers and other educators. Educators with or without a master's degree may apply for the full master's degree program, which includes core and emphases, or an 18- to 21-credit graduate certificate program or advanced study in a particular area.
Core Courses (12 credits)
- EDUC 606: Education and Culture (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 612: Inquiry into Practice (2 credit hours)
- EDUC 613: How Students Learn (3 credit hours)
- EDUC 614: Designing and Assessing Teaching and Learning (2 credit hours)
- EDUC 615: Educational Change (2 credit hours)
Concentration Courses (9 credits)
The 18-credit early childhood concentration provides advanced professional development in preschool through third grade content and includes three required courses and three electives. The concentration focuses on practicing teachers who may or may not be licensed to teach young children.
- ECED 585: Research in Early Childhood Education (3 credit hours) OR EDCI 603: Trends, Issues, and Research in Early Childhood Education (3 credit hours)
- ECED 601: Frameworks for Early Childhood Education (3 credit hours) OR EDCI 784: Capstone Seminar in Early Childhood Education (3 credit hours)
Electives: Choose three (9 credits)
- EDCI 516: Bilingualism and Language Acquisition Research (3 credit hours)
- EDCI 616: The Creative Arts and Play in Early Childhood Education (3 credit hours)
- EDRD 630: Literacy Foundations and Instruction for Diverse Populations: Birth through Middle Childhood (3 credit hours)
- Any graduate courses with ECED prefix